Follow the 3Ws and do your Daily Health Check before leaving your residence hall or coming to campus.
For details about Student Affairs operations, see the Student Affairs Covid-19 Response. Updated August 21, 2020 at 9:00 a.m.
Wilderness First Responder
This is a nationally recognized program that trains participants to respond to emergencies in remote settings. The 80-hour curriculum includes standards for urban and extended care situations. Special topics include, but are not limited to, wound management and infection, realigning fractures and dislocations, improvised splinting techniques, patient monitoring and long term management problems, up-to-date information on all environmental emergencies, and advice on drug therapies. The program emphasises prevention and decision-making, not list memorization. This course is designed specifically to provide you with the tools to make critical medical and evacuation decisions in remote locations. Half of your time will be spent completing practical skills, case studies and scenarios designed to challenge your decision making abilities. Adult CPR is included in this course.
Course Length: 9 Days/80 Hours
Recommended for: Backcountry guides, canoe trip leaders, private expedition groups, college/university outdoor education programs, hiking club trip leaders, wilderness therapeutic programs, EMT’s and adventure race safety personnel.
Minimum Age: To participate in a Wilderness Medicial Certification through Appalachian State University, participants must be 18 on the first day of the course or a registered Appalachian State University Student who has graduated from high school.
- $560 - Current Appalachian State University students
- $795 - Other
- Thursday, December 10 - Friday, December 18 2020
- 7:45 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (All days and two night scenarios)
- Participants must arrive at 7:30 a.m. on Thursday, December 10 for an orientation to the facility
Location: Broadstone at Appalachian State University
- 1431 Broadstone Road, Banner Elk, NC 28604
Lodging: Onsite lodging at Broadstone is optional. Shared cabin space with bunkbeds is available at Broadstone on a first-come, first-serve basis. Any overnight stay is $20/night and grants access to the kitchen appliances and indoor showers located in the cabins. Students may choose to stay from the night prior to the course beginning through the night the course finishes. Students staying the night before must arrive by 8:00pm. A housing package may also be purchased a reduced cost to include lodging for all nights starting on the evening prior to the course and ending the morning of the last day of the course.
Equipment Needed: Please see the NOLS Rescue Gear in the course paperwork for a packing list. Be sure to bring old clothes you do not mind getting dirty/stained. Additionally due to Covid-19, each student will be required to bring 3 face masks, safety googles or sunglasses, 9 paper or plastic storage bags in which to isolate face masks for 72 hours, and personal handsanitizer. Please see the Landmark Learning Student Expanded Agreement in the course paperwork.
- NOLS Wilderness Medicine Wilderness First Responder Certification
- NOLS Wilderness Medicine Adult & Child CPR certification
- Certifications are current for two years.
- This course is pre-approved for 70 hours of EMT Continuing Education Hours (CEH) by the Continuing Education Coordinating Board for Emergency Medical Services (CECBEMS).
- Active members of the Wilderness Medical Society may earn up to 59.5 hours of credit towards a Fellowship of the Academy of Wilderness Medicine (FAWM). There is an additional fee of $15 for students requesting these credits.
- This course is approved by the United States Coast Guard to satisfy the first aid and CPR training requirements [46 CFR 11.205(e)(1)(i) &46 CFR 11.205(e)(2)(iv)] for a merchant mariner license.
Please mail all course paperwork to Student Recreation Center C/O Valerie Kankiewicz, ASU Box 32081, Boone, NC 28608 by November 8, 2020
For more information, contact Valerie Kankiewicz at email@example.com or (828) 262-4954.