The university remains open and is actively engaged in maintaining the safest possible learning and work environment.
Click here for the latest university COVID-19 updates.
For details about Student Affairs operations, see the Student Affairs Covid-19 Response. Updated June 10, 2020 at 8:20 a.m.
University Recreation COVID-19 Updates
We are constantly working closely with the University, following local, state, and national guidelines, to reopen and resume operations and in-person programming for the fall 2020 semester.
That said, please be aware we do not have the authority to open the facilities if Governor Cooper's guidance does not permit gyms and recreational facilities to operate. If statewide cases of COVID-19 are deemed manageable by the state's public health officer and Governor Cooper moves NC to phase III, it is expected that gyms and recreational facilities will be given the authority to operate.
Because this is a very dynamic situation, our plans are based on the most up-to-date information we have at this time and may change depending on many factors that are largely out of our control. Our team is carefully considering our options and we appreciate your patience as we work together towards reopening.
Resources for Participating & Information
App State UREC App
University Recreation will utilize an app to organize participation and communicate information. For IOS users, please visit this website to download the app; for Android users, please visit this website to download the app.
Perks of the App:
- Register for any facility/program opportunity
- Receive real-time updates from our opt-in notification system
No App? No problem!
You can also access the sign up for recreational opportunities via apprec.appstate.edu.
We suggest this option if you do not have a smartphone. The App State UREC App will maximize your experience with University Recreation through utilizing registrations, the ability to use a bar code for facility access, receiving real-time, pertinent updates, and access to any immediate changes for programs/facility hours.
The Playbook is designed to communicate to our App State community users the current business functions, operational protocols, and risk mitigation strategies to reopen the UREC facilities and its programs while adhering to guidance provided by Federal, State, Local, and University authorities.
University Recreation will reopen UREC facilities in a phased approach beginning with reduced hours and progressing to regular operational hours.
Hours of operation for facilities, programs, activities, and services will be offered in 90-minute time blocks with 30-minute disinfection and sanitizing times in between.
Facilities and activity areas have been modified to support physical exertion distances. We have established maximum occupancy limits for areas and facilities for any given time.
Over forty (40) vinyl sheet work-out pods are placed in different areas for the use of cardiovascular machines.
University Recreation programs are abiding by the COVID-19 impact listed at the top of this page. Visit the UREC Re-Opening Playbook for more information.
- Swim lessons are tentative
- Free swim/lap swim is limited to one person per lane for recreational workouts
- Please visit the Aquatics section of the Re-Opening Playbook for more information
- Practices anticipate starting September 13
- Teams will have Return to Play plans specifically for each sport
- Please visit the Club Sports section of the Re-Opening Playbook for more information
Fitness & Wellness
- 50+ group exercise classes will be offered in-person and online
- One-on-one personal training service will be available
- Please visit the Fitness & Wellness section of the Re-Opening Playbook for more information
- ESports, Individual/dual sports, and Special Events will be offered
- Registration will be required to participate
- Please visit the Intramural Sports section of the Re-Opening Playbook for more information
- Contactless equipment rental and payment will be available
- Challenge course programs will be offered
- Please visit the Outdoor Programs section of the Re-Opening Playbook for more information
What will be available during the different UREC phases of re-opening?
Phase A: Aug 12 - 16
Student Recreation Center:
Virtual Club Sports
Phase B: Aug 17 - 30
Everything in Stage A, plus:
Quinn Recreation Center
Virtual Group Fitness Classes
Outdoor Programs Trips
Virtual Intramural Sports
Virtual Club Sports
Phase C: Aug 31 - Sept 13
Everything in Stage B, plus:
In-Person Group Fitness classes
In-Person Club Sports interactions
In-Person IM Sports events
Gym Court Space
All staff (student and professional) will be screened and temperature checked at the beginning of their shift.
App State community patrons are expected to follow UREC recommended personal practices to assist in lowering the risk of virus transmission. This includes wearing face coverings when not exercising, frequent hand washing/hand sanitizing, and following signage, traffic patterns, and distancing guidelines throughout UREC facilities.
Cleaning, Disinfection, Sanitation
University Recreation has increased and updated cleaning protocols to clean, disinfect, and sanitize every 90 minutes the building is open.
Please let us know if you have any questions! 828-262-2100 or Staff Directory.