Membership and Fees
STUDENT ACCESS TO FACILITES
Student Activity Fees help cover the operational costs for University Recreation. Undergraduate and graduate students enrolled full time, paying student fees, are granted membership to the Student Recreation Center, The Quinn Recreation Center and Mt. Mitchell Fitness Centre. Undergraduate and graduate students who are enrolled part time are granted membership provided they pay the Student Activity Fee.
- Current ASU students, faculty, and staff with current and valid AppCards are allowed one guest per day at the rate of $5 for the guest pass. We accept cash, check, or AppExpress.
- A guest pass will need to be purchased at the Student Recreation Center. Those wishing to use the Quinn Center or Mt. Mitchell Fitness Center will need to go to the Student Recreation Center to pay for the guest pass. The pass may be used during regular facility hours.
- To obtain a guest pass, the sponsor must present their current and valid University AppCard. The guest must present current identification with a picture (i.e.. driver's license).
- Sponsor will be held accountable for the behavior of their guest.
- Dependents less than 16 years of age are not allowed to bring guests into University Recreation facilities at any time.
FACULTY & STAFF USER FEES
All current ASU faculty and staff members of Appalachian State University who wish to use the Student Recreation Center, Quinn Recreation Center and/or the Mt. Mitchell Fitness Centre are required to pay a fee. Retired ASU faculty and staff are not required to pay the fee, but must have a valid ASU AppCard for admission.
FEE OPTIONS - PERMANENT EMPLOYEES
Permanent Employees may have a full-term direct payment of $48 per individual or $96 per family. A monthly payroll deduction is $4 for individual membership or $8 for the family membership. A permanent employee may be full or part time. If you are eligible to receive NC State Employee benefits (insurance, retirement etc.) you are considered permanent.
Please complete the Payroll Deduction Form using a pen and send two copies through campus mail to:
*Please keep in mind that all dependents must have their own APPCARD in order to have access to the facilities!
Length of Coverage
All full-term direct payment IDs (AppCards) expire on August 15th of each year, no matter when the fee was paid. Monthly payroll deduction IDs (AppCards) are valid until cancellation form is received by Human Resource Services Office or termination of employment.
To cancel please complete the Cancellation Form, print and send to: Anna Lee Evans, University Recreation, box 32081, SRC.
Temporary Employees pay a semester payment of $20 per person and have NO dependent privileges. Temporary Employees can be either full time or part time and are employed by semester or yearly contract and are not eligible for NC State benefits (health insurance, retirement, etc.). This includes Adjunct Faculty.
Only dependents of students, permanent employees (faculty and staff) and retired faculty/staff of Appalachian State University qualify for access. Each dependent MUST have a valid AppCard for admission. Dependents who qualify for access are:
- Spouses/domestic partners - click here to see definition of domestic partner
- Children under 19 years of age living at home
- Children 19 years or older who qualify as a dependent for federal income tax purposes. Specifically, this means that the child is currently enrolled as a full-time student.
SUMMER USER FEES
Students who are registered for summer school will have access to the facilities through payment of student fees. Facility use is granted through payment of student fees. Some students such as those enrolled in International Programs, Internships and Student Teaching are not charged student fees because it is assumed that you are not on campus and therefore not using services and facilities.
If students are not enrolled in Summer School they may have access to the facilities if they:
- Were enrolled in the previous Spring Semester classes
- Have paid a $20 facility activity fee
- Are pre-registered for Fall classes
Seniors who graduated in the Spring semester may also pay the Summer Facility Usage Fee during the same calendar year in which they graduated. The Summer Facility Usage form and payment can be completed at the Student Recreation Center to have your AppCard activated through the last day of summer school classes in August.
Students enrolled in Summer School but not charged student fees such as those enrolled in International Programs, Internships and Student Teaching may have access to the facilities by completing a Summer Facility Usage form.
Permanent Faculty & Staff who pay fees via payroll deduction (and dependents, spouses/domestic partners where fee is paid) may use the facilities year round.
Adjunct Faculty not teaching in the summer who will be returning in the Fall may gain access with a letter from department chair to Joe Carter, firstname.lastname@example.org confirming that you will be re-hired to teach in the Fall and by completing a Summer Facility Usage form and payment of $20 facility activity fee.
Student Recreation Center
150 Bodenheimer Drive
Boone, North Carolina 28608
SRC Main Office: (828) 262-2100
UREC Hotline (828) 262-UREC
(for game schedules and cancellations)
SRC Console: (828) 262-8704
Quinn Rec Center: (828) 262-3035
Mt. Mitchell Fitness Center: (828) 262-8301