Office Assistant Description
Office Support Assistant
Office Manager and Administrative Assistant
Minimum of two scheduled shifts per week or 4 hours per week, Monday-Friday; Average 4-8 hours per week.
The Office Support Assistant is responsible for working as the receptionist during the times that the Administrative Assistant is out of the office (i.e. during lunch) which is located in the Student Recreation Center. They will work closely with the full-time staff, the student programmers, GAs, and participants in providing the many recreational activities offered through the University Recreation Department (Aquatics, Club Sports, Fitness, Informal Recreation, Intramural Sports, & Outdoor Adventure Programs). Office work can include filing, cleaning, developing documents, answering phones, greeting visitors and more.
Specific Job Responsibilities
- Meet and greet the general Appalachian State University public as they enter the office.
- Dress in a professional manner, clean and neat in appearance.
- Learn/be able to work/operate office equipment such as: Copier, Fax, shredder, staplers, tape dispensers, laminating devices, telephone answering/forwarding calls/log calls, etc.
- Work to learn to file, stock/load copier, re-load staplers, and replace tape in dispensers, change ribbons in printers and/or fax machines.
- Work to learn to print, correlate, and produce documents for staff.
- Be trained to operate the copier, fax, recording on the hotline, answer the phones, taking messages, forwarding calls, and direct individuals to the person that can answer questions.
- All staff (not only Office Workers but Supervisors, Console, Weight Room, Programmers, etc) should be trained/educated to not walk in on staff during meetings unless it is an emergency.
- Throughout the day they should continue to handle the phone and walk in traffic, clean work stations when available, and organize OA workstation.
- Be able to follow a list of duties as well as take on unexpected tasks as assigned.
- Must be willing to clean, dust, and vacuum
- Other related duties as assigned or requested.
Qualifications for Hire
- Possess a good clear speaking voice to answer incoming phone call and recording departmental items on the UREC hotline.
- Possess good/clear hand writing skills to record messages, taking notes, marking/labeling items, preparing score sheets, and recording items as directed by the staff.
- Good TIME management skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Dedication to University Recreation and a desire to support its mission.
Condition of Employment
- Accepted candidate will be notified of their position and be required to attend a mandatory training session for their position.
Applications are available online at http://urec.appstate.edu, at the Quinn Recreation Center, Mt. Mitchell Life Fitness Centre or the Student Recreation Center. Please submit with a resume to the main office of the SRC. For more information please call 828-262-2100. Or follow directions of job posting (if opening available) at careergear.appstate.edu
Student Recreation Center
150 Bodenheimer Drive
Boone, North Carolina 28608
SRC Main Office: (828) 262-2100
UREC Hotline (828) 262-UREC
(for game schedules and cancellations)
SRC Console: (828) 262-8704
Quinn Rec Center: (828) 262-3035
Mt. Mitchell Fitness Center: (828) 262-8301