Informal Recreation Programmers Job Description
|Title:||Informal Recreation – Programmer|
|Reports to:||Assistant Director for Informal Recreation|
|Hours:||Minimum of one scheduled office hour per day, Sunday – Thursday; Minimum of one permanent shift per week in program area. Average 15 – 20 hours per week.|
Position Summary: The Informal Recreation Programmer is responsible for assisting the Assistant Director for Informal Recreation with the daily management of drop-in recreation at the Student Recreation Center, Quinn Recreation Center, and Mt. Mitchell Life Fitness Centre. This will include staff and program supervision; in-service training and facility inspections; special event programming; program promotion; equipment inventory; risk management and policy development.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Aid with departmental procedures to recruit new Console Attendants and retain previous Console Attendants.
- With direction, coordinate and conduct planning, preparation, and implementation of a consistent training program for Console Attendants.
- Assist in the scheduling of Console Attendants for the Student Recreation Center and Quinn Recreation Center.
- Maintain all Console Attendant employee files, certifications, and hours.
- Assist full-time staff with communication to Console Attendant including developing weekly e-mail reminders.
- Check Console Attendant sub forms regularly to make sure all shifts are covered.
- Update Console Attendant schedule changes and post new schedules at all UREC facility consoles and get updated schedules to Console Attendants.
- Maintain current and correct Console Attendant contact information including full name, phone number and e-mail address for each Console Attendant.
- Sit in on interviews for Console Attendants and provide feedback relating to the hiring of new staff.
- Assist with special events as they relate to Informal Recreation and/or UREC.
- Perform inventory of fitness equipment (weight room, aerobic, etc.) and update the console areas at each facility with forms and supplies.
- Maintain statistical database of facility usage.
- Other related duties as assigned or requested.
Qualifications for Hire:
- Must have worked a minimum of one semester as a Console Attendant for Informal Recreation.
- Good TIME management skills.
- General knowledge in all areas of Informal Recreation.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of UREC’s policies and procedures and the ability to enforce them.
- Dedication to University Recreation and a desire to support its mission.
Condition of Employment:
- Accepted candidate will be notified of their position and be required to attend a mandatory training session for their position.
- Must be available the week before school starts to program and facilitate Console Attendant training.
- Attend weekly staff meetings and in-service training sessions as scheduled.
- The Programmer should consider this position as their first non-academic priority. To fulfill the responsibilities of the job, and to successfully serve the needs of Informal Recreation and its employees, programmers should not have any other significant work or co-curricular commitments (more than twelve hours per week).
- Programmers must be committed to working together, and to helping each other to develop creative ideas and solutions.
Salary: $7.40 - $7.75 per hour
To Apply: Applications are available online at urec.appstate.edu, at the Quinn, Mt. Mitchell LFC or the SRC. Please submit application with a resume and cover letter to the Assistant Director for Informal Recreation.
Student Recreation Center
150 Bodenheimer Drive
Boone, North Carolina 28608
SRC Main Office: (828) 262-2100
UREC Hotline (828) 262-UREC
(for game schedules and cancellations)
SRC Console: (828) 262-8704
Quinn Rec Center: (828) 262-3035
Mt. Mitchell Fitness Center: (828) 262-8301